US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has released a new version of the Employment Eligibility Verification Form (I-9). Employers we authorized to use the existing form until January 21, 2017. Effective January 22, 2017, employers must use the new version of Form I-9.
Employment Eligibility Verification
Under federal immigration law, employers must verify the employment eligibility of new employees, including US citizens, by reviewing documents presented by employees to establish their identity and authorization to work.
- 1. The employee accepts an offer of employment.
- 2. Employee completes Section 1 of Form I-9 and delivers it to the employer no later than the first day of work. The employee may fill out the form before the first day of work, but no earlier than acceptance of the job offer.
- 3. Employer completes Section 2 of Form I-9 no later than the 3rd business day of work.
Enhancements for SAP I-9
SAP has updated the Employment Eligibility Verification process to reflect the changes. The new form has been re-designed to make it more user-friendly and to reduce data entry errors.
- The online form includes validations to ensure information is correct, including the right number of digits for SSN, expiration date of a document, and other required data.
- Instructional text pops up when the user hovers the cursor over a data field. Most of the fields have an information bubble next to them (“?” icon) that provides more instructions when the user clicks on them.
- The form ensures that information provided by the employee is consistent with the employee’s citizenship/immigration status. For instance, if an employee ticks the box that says he is a lawful permanent resident, all of the fields that relate to an alien authorized to work will be marked as not applicable.
- Document Title fields now have drop-down menus dynamically based on the employee’s citizenship/immigration status.
- Buttons enable the user to print the form, access instructions and start the form all over again.
- The user cannot save the form until all the mandatory fields are completed.
- A separate page (Page 3) now displays for Section 3, used for Re-verification and Rehires.
Click the button below to gain weekly access to useful SAP HCM and SuccessFactors blogs written by Whitaker-Taylor expert consultants.